In many native cultures, the element of fire is often seen as a creative life force. It sparks action and moves quickly. These metaphorical threads also run through astrology and the various archetypes found in mythological pantheons, such as Brigid, Prometheus, and Fire Dancers. Fire fascinates and mesmerizes us as we sit around a campfire or watch the flames in the hearth. We talk about sparking inspiration, lighting fires in our hearts, in our spirits, and in our brains.
January is unique in that perhaps no other month inspires so many calls to action and for change in our lives. This is mirrored in the bulging enrollments for fitness classes, in the community college course offerings on financial planning, entrepreneurship, career changes, and in the renewed interest in healthy living. We are primed to hear new concepts and many of us resolve to transform our lives for the better in the coming year.
Whether we're trying to light a soft flame under our teapot, or a huge primal bonfire, good books can give you the set of matches you need to get things started. Below is a quick list of some of our staff favorites.Don't forget that we also have a number of hand-selected cds and setting space products on whisperingtree.net to help support your process. Visit our online store and check us out.
- The Second Half of Life, by Angeles Arrien
- A Little Book for Lovers, by George Feurstein
- The Biology of Belief, by Bruce H. Lipton, Phd.
- Naomi's Guide to Aging Gratefully, by Naomi Judd
- The Gift of Change: Spiritual Guidance for Living Your Best Life, by Marianne Willamson
- The Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage, by Dr. Laura Schlessinger
- The Secret, by Rhonda Byrne
- Conscious Business, Fred Kofman
- What Color Is Your Parachute? 2007: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers, by Richard Nelson Bolles
- Winning: The Answers: Confronting 74 of the Toughest Questions in Business Today, by Jack and Suzy Welch
- A Knock at the Door, by Duirwaigh
- Our 50 States: A Family Adventure Across America, by Lynn Cheney
- The Giving Tree, by Shel Silverstein
- Where the Sidewalk Ends, by Shel Silverstein
- 10-Minute Life Lessons for Kids: 52 Fun and and Simple Games and Activities to Teach Your Child Honesty, Trust, Love, and Other Important Values, by Jamie C. Miller
- Nobody Likes Me, Everybody Hates Me: The Top 25 Friendship Problems and How to Solve Them, by Michele Borba