Articles and Media
Respect and Gratitude
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost ... Arthur Ashe
Memorial Day is a national holiday commemorating our men and women who died while in military service for our country. It is about respect and gratitude for their service. Many of us will observe a moment of silence at 3 p.m. as we join across the nation in remembrance sending our prayers on the winds to travel far and wide.
It is also a day to commemorate the families of our service men and women, the parents, spouses, children of those who died in service and those who still serve today. Military families play an important role in sustaining our men and women during difficult times. They stand alongside their loved ones through the loss of friends, family and limbs.
Each of us has our own way of expressing our respect and gratitude. Many visit the graves of their loved ones, placing flowers and flags and spending a few moments remembering.
For many of us at Whisperingtree.net, we express our respect and gratitude for the freedoms we enjoy by volunteering our time, working in hospitals and at healing clinics. We donate to various organizations, including the Wounded Warriors project, and we help spread the word.
This Memorial Day, all of us can do our part to get involved with organizations whose mission is to help our wounded and returning veterans. It is a wonderful way to express our gratitude. Below are some organizations that do good work on behalf of service members. Let us know about your own favorites.
- Wounded Warriors Project raises awareness and enlists the public's aid for the needs of severely injured service members. They help severely injured service members aid and assist each other and provide unique, direct programs and services to meet their needs.
- America Supports You provides a listing of organizations supporting our service men and women and is an excellent place to start.
- Give an Hour provides mental health services to US military personnel.
- Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund is an organization started by a Camp Pendleton nurse whose husband was deployed to Iraq and who saw a need to help marine families on their difficult road to recovery.
- Homes for our Troops build specially adapted homes for our severely injured veterans.
- The Soldiers Project providing free, confidential mental health services for soldiers and their families.
- Support A Soldier is a non profit organization that provides gear and equipment for the soldiers who contact them.
Letters and Care Packages
- The Thank You Foundation is an all volunteer, non-profit whose mission is appreciation.
- Any Soldier There are groups for each branch of the service.
- Give 2 the Troops is an organization started by a military wife providing mail and care packages for our service men and women.
This Memorial Day, take a moment to remember those who have fallen in service to our country. We at Whisperingtree.net send a heartfelt thank you to our service men and women.
A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself ... Joseph Campbell