Articles and Media
The Influence of Others
by Ada M. Palles
We are programmed all day long — we are literally bombarded by advertisements for all manner of things we never knew we needed. We are indoctrinated by politicians who want to persuade us to their point of view. We are instructed by other people's opinions, repeated over and over again: "It's like I always say ..." Pretty soon you start hearing it in your sleep! We are conditioned by our management's vision and procedures, which they desperately want you to buy into. Day in, day out, we are subjected to the droning chant of other people's beliefs.
You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. You cannot escape the results of your thoughts ~ James Lane Allen
There's actually nothing wrong with brainwashing — as long as you're the one doing the cleaning! But when we allow ourselves to be programmed by everybody else but ourselves, that's not just tragic, it's pathetic. As they say in the computer business: garbage in, garbage out.
No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit. ~ Ansel Adams
Instead, you're about to take control over your own life. Starting today you will do two things:
1. You will decide what to think! You will decide who you want to be, what kind of a life you want, and program yourself to get there. You will analyze every thought that comes into your head, and immediately replace the negative with a positive one until positive thoughts become automatic! It won't happen overnight, it will take work, but it will happen.
2. You will make a list of positive affirmations to replace all of those negative thoughts, and program yourself with them.Be It!
Beliefs are tricky. Some of them are so deep and so firmly rooted, we're not even aware we have them. Some ideas can also be very deceptive. My brother once pointed out something I thought was absolutely fascinating, because I'd never stopped to think about it. There was a popular song we grew up with that had the following words:
Tax the rich, feed the poor, 'til there are no rich no more.
Did you catch that? "Til there are no rich no more," not "til there are no poor no more." What's the goal? To obliterate wealth, or to obliterate poverty? Wouldn't it be way better if EVERYBODY were wealthy?
This demonstrates how some ideas can be misleading. They may sound positive on the surface, but when we stop to examine them, we find that they actually undermine the very thing you're trying to achieve. These traitorous thoughts infiltrate your mind and soul. Beliefs like these, unexamined, can actually prevent you from obtaining all the things in life that every human being deserves.
How will you ever attract prosperity if deep down, secretly, you think that wealth is bad? If deep down inside you really do believe that there should be no such thing as rich people, you resent the wealthy and seek their annihilation. If you think that, then you will keep yourself from prospering because you don't want to become something you hate.
You can repeat all manner of affirmations about abundance, but this underlying belief will always counteract them. Beliefs like these negate any kind of affirmation of abundance, for you are saying that you don't really believe in it. If abundance exists, then there is more than enough for everybody. If abundance doesn't exist, there is only a limited amount, and therefore we must take from one to give to another.
Robin Hood was a cute story, but he was still a hood. This is an example of negativity sneaking into your thoughts. If the only way to be taller is to cut someone else's legs off, then where's the goodness in that? Be careful what you think! Positive thoughts do not allow others to be harmed.
That some should be rich shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. ~ Abraham Lincoln
What do you believe? Either a rising tide of abundance lifts all ships, or you've never seen the ocean and see only a shallow pool of scarcity. Which is it?
1. The new adage says, "You'll see it when you believe it," so make sure you believe 100% in the things you want to see!
2. Examine each and every concept you hold. Question each and every belief you have until you're positive that you're not harboring or reinforcing any negative ideas.
3. Speak your affirmations daily — when you wake in the morning, before you go to sleep each night, in front of a mirror, write them down and post them in front of the john! These are now your new beliefs — the beliefs you, and only you, have decided you will believe. So, BELIEVE IT! For only when you do will you be who you wish to become.